But there are things that we do not know about love, below are some of them:
1.While it is known that break-ups can be very awful, it is also known that break-ups may lead to "frustration attraction" which means that it could make you feel more passionate towards the person that rejected you. This can even lead to serious obsession and then addiction.
2. Monogamous relationship is not unique to humans alone: Most people think of ourselves as the faithful species, but we are very wrong. We are not the only species that mostly keep to one partner at a time, just take a closer look at the animal and even the insect kingdom.
Wolves, Swans, Gibbons, Black Vultures, Doves, Albatrosses and even termites are known to find and keep a mate for a lifetime.
3.It takes only 4 minutes to make up your mind whether you like some one or not: Based on some research, it is believed that this has more to do with body language, your tone and the speed of your voice rather than what you actually say.
4. Couples who are in love and bond in a romantic relationship have their heartbeats synchronised after gazing into each others eyes for three minutes.
5. Hypopituitarism is a rare disease that prevents a person from feeling the rapture of love. Some individuals who claim never to have felt romantic love actually suffer from this condition.
Love" is from the Sankrist word "Lubhyati" and it means "desire".
7. The ancient Greeks believed that the fourth finger of the left hand contained the "Vena Amoris", or the "Vein of Love" that runs straight to the heart. That's why engagement rings are worn on that finger.
8. The earliest recorded wedding rings were in ancient Egypt, the circle represents eternity and powerful sun and moon deities.
9. From the Greek island of Lesbos comes the word "Lesbian". It was on this island that the poetess Sappho composed her famous poems to her female lovers.
10. Roses have been a traditional symbol of love, and the colors can suggest different nuances of love:
Red roses indicate passion and true love.
Light pink means desire, passion and energy; Dark pink suggests gratitude.
Yellow roses could mean friendship or jealousy.
Lavender or thornless rose could mean love at first sight.
White roses mean virtue or devotion.
Some roses even combine colors to convey more complicated meanings.
When people fall in love, the Caudate Nucleus in the brain is flooded with dopamine. This makes the caudate to signal for more dopamine, and the more the dopamine the higher the person feels.
The problem is that this is exactly the same system that is activated when people take cocaine.
12. The neural circuits that are usually associated with social judgements are usually suppressed when we look at a new love.
13. People who have just been rejected by their sweethearts usually have strong activity in the brain associated with the Insular Cortex, the part of the brain that experiences physical pain.
14. When a man and a woman meet in a dangerous situation, they are more likely to fall in love than when they meet in a more mundane setting.
15. Men and women are subconciously attracted to those with symetrical faces.
16.Women are more likely to fall in love with men that have distinctive cheek bones and strong cheek bones are linked to testosterone levels.
Women become more interested in men with strong signs of testoterone when they are ovulating.
17. Brains in love and lust act differently.
Lust activates the hypothalamus (which controls hunger and thirst) and the amygdala (arousal) areas of the brain.
Love activates parts of the brain with high concentration of receptors for dopamine (associated with euphoria, craving and addiction) and also norepinephrine.
18. Physical closeness usually leads to increased emotions which is why it is not unusual to hear stories of bosses falling in love with their secretaries.
However, scientists now believe that at a critical time in childhood (between 4-6 years) boys and girls who live in close proximity lose their ability to fall in love with themselves.
19. The despair usually associated with unrequited love is usually due to plummeting levels of dopamine. To increase dopamine, rejected lovers should usually engage in physical exercise.
20. Men and women are biologically wired to express love in different ways. Women feel loved when talking face to face with their partners, but men on the other hand often feel more emotionally close when they are side by side.