2. If it takes you less than 5 minutes to fall asleep at night then you are sleep deprived. The ideal period to fall asleep is between 10 and 15 minutes.
3. Elephants remain standing during non-REM sleep, but they lie down during REM sleep.
4. If a very bright light is directed on back of the knee of humans, it can reset the brains' sleep-wake clock. Scientists are still not able to find out why.
|Bright Light on Joints|
5. Some soldiers can go without sleep for up to 36 hours. This is as a result of special goggles which projects a ring of bright light (identical to sunrise) around the retina, fooling the brain to think it had just woken up.
This system was first used in 1999 on U.S pilots during the bombing of Yugoslavia, the research was conducted by British Military scientists.
6. 17 continous hours of wakefulness leads to a decrease in performance which is equivalent to a blood alcohol level of 0.05%.
7. It is estimated that fatigue is involved in one in six fatal road accidents.
8. If you sleep and you are exposed to noise at night, it can suppress your immune function even if you did not wake up. Noise during the first and last 2 hours of sleep and noise which are unfamiliar has the greatest disruptive effects on the sleep cycle.
9. Some sleeping pills actually suppress REM sleep. And this can have long-term harmful effects.
10. Snoring occurs only in non-REM sleep.
11. The older we become, the less sleep we need: Babies need up to 16 hours, teenagers and smaller children need as much as 10 hours of sleep at night, the average adult between 25-55 years need about 8 hours of night sleep while older people who are at least 65 years need only about 6 hours of sleep.
12. One of the most serious sleep distractions is 24-hour accessibility of the internet.
13. Humans spend a third of their lifetime sleeping.
14. In the first 2 years of a child's life, the parents would have missed 6 months worth of sleep. So if you know you are not ready for the pressures and responsibilities of parenting, please use a condom, and dont forget to tell your parents a big thank you for their sacrifice.
15. Sleeping less than 7 hours each night reduces your life expectancy.
16. Some deaf people make sign language in their sleep.
17. It is impossible to sneeze while you are asleep.
18. If you sleep on the job in Japan it is perfectly acceptable because it is viewed as exhaustion from hard work.
|Job Sleeping in Japan|
19. Sea otters hold hands while they sleep in the water so they dont drift away from each other.
20. The state of finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning is called Dysania.
21. A study has found that people experience better sleep during the new moon and worse sleep during the full moon. So next time look at the moon with some respect.
22. Many Tibetan monks actually sleep while they are sitting upright.
|Tibetan Monks Sleeping|
23. Cats sleep for 70% of their lives.
24. Your performance improves when you believe you have slept well, even if you haven't.
25. Parasomnia is a type of sleep disorder that makes people do unnatural movenents while they sleep. Crimes commited during Parasomnia includes: Sleep driving, murder, Child molest, Molest etc.
26. People who do not dream generally have personality disorders.
27. The longest sleeping animal is the Koala, it sleeps for 22 hours a day while the shortest sleeping animal is the Giraffe, it sleeps for about 2 hours a day in 5-10 minute sessions.
28. When Dolphins are asleep only half of their brain shits down. The other half stays awake to control breathing cycles.
29. 10 days without sleep will kill most people.
30. Blind people can still see images in their dreams. Those born blind have dreams involving: emotion, sound, smell and touch.
31. 50% of our dreams are forgotten within 5 minutes of waking up and 90% is gone within 10 minutes.
32. Studies have suggested that sleep deprivation is linked to lower libido and less interest in sex in both men and women.
So to spice things up, just take some rest.
33. Sleep Apnea is a disorder in which breathing is interrupted briefly and repeatedly. Chronic snoring can be an indicator of this potentially fatal disorder.
|Sleep Apnea Diagram|
33% of people who drink caffeinated beverages daily are at risk of sleep apnea.
34. Men are almost twice as likely as women to fall asleep while driving.
|Sleeping and Driving|
35. Lack of sleep can raise the sensation of hunger by 25%.
36. Sleeping immediately after learning something new will improve your ability to remember it effectively.